Exceptional Children's Services

Frequently Asked Questions – Speech and Language Services

Questions and Answers about Speech and Language ServicesImage of back arrow

Question: What speech sounds should my child be using clearly at his age?  

Answer: The following sounds should be acquired by the ages listed below:

4 years old                       M, N, P, H, W
5 years old                       B, K, G, F, D, T, Y
6 years old                      NG at the end of words (for example: ring)
7 years old                       L, V, SH, CH
8 years old                       TH, J, S, Z, R  

Question: Should my child be asking questions?  

Answer: Children usually begin asking “where and “why” questions at about the age of three years. Who” and “what” questions follow soon after. “When” questions emerge at about 4 or 5 years of age.  

Question: What information should my child be able to give? (i.e. name, address)  

Answer: Children can usually tell someone their name by the age of three years. Addresses and phone numbers are usually taught as a kindergarten skill.  

Question: How do you decide if my child needs speech/language help?  

Answer: This decision is generally made by a speech therapist. The therapist will consider the child’s speech/language difficulties, age, rate of physical development and any other physical or mental delays the child might have. Formal and informal tests may also be used to determine if your child is in need of therapy.  

Question: Will my child’s stuttering continue?  

Answer: There is no “cure for stuttering. Modification and control techniques are taught to the person who stutters. It is a life‑long awareness process.  

Question: How will you determine if he or she is making progress?  

Answer: Progress is carefully measured each session your child attends. Different methods may be used such as observations or checklists.  

Question: If my child doesn’t qualify for speech/language services, and I still have concerns and don’t see improvements, are there other agencies that can help him/her?  

Answer: If your child doesn’t qualify for speech services in the schools you can always seek private speech therapy. The yellow pages of your phone book or the school speech therapist or Parent/Educator Liaison can provide you with names of private therapists. Some insurance plans will pay for private speech therapy if it is deemed appropriate.  

Question: What does it mean when teachers say my child may have a “central auditory processing problem”?  

Answer: A central auditory processing problem indicates difficulty in understanding and comprehension of spoken language. Children with a central auditory processing disorder may have difficulty in the regular classroom following directions, understanding what the teacher is saying during a lesson or comprehending what others may be saying. An auditory processing disorder isn’t the result of a hearing loss. It is the result of a “faulty” connection in the brain’s processing abilities.

Published by Shonda Virgil on June 28, 2018

Cumberland County Schools
2465 Gillespie Street • Fayetteville, NC 28306

© 2019 Cumberland County Schools
Send questions or comments to

CCS Web Manager

Website Accessibility
I Accesibilidad a las Pбginas Web
| Copyright/Privacy Notices and Disclaimers | Derecho de Propiedad Literaria/Avisos Privados y Renuncias | Non-Discrimination Policy and Grievances