Exceptional Children's Services

Roles of School Personnel

Image of back arrow


Audiologist: An Audiologist may test a student if he/she is exhibiting some possible hearing problems or if he has failed a hearing screening. An Audiologist conducts hearing tests and may make recommendations for hearing aides or other amplification systems.

Occupational Therapist: An Occupational Therapist teaches useful skills to enable students to operate in their environments. These skills may range from the self‑help skills of zipping or buttoning to cutting or writing. An Occupational Therapist may also work with how students handle information that they obtain through their senses (e.g. how does a child respond to touch, odors, visual stimulation, or different sounds in his/her environment). An Occupational Therapist often uses toys and everyday items in working with students.

Physical Therapist: The Physical Therapist’s goal is usually to help the student learn to perform essential physical activities in a safe and effective way. The therapist may use exercises that are active or passive. The exercises are designed to meet the individual needs of the student. The Physical Therapist may help with special equipment that the student might need for mobility or positioning. The therapist will frequently work with a student on “gross motor skills” such as walking, jumping, or balancing. Physical Therapists often work from a physician’s recommendations.

School Psychologist: A Psychologist working in a school setting may give a student a variety of assessments. They may observe how the student gets along with peers and adults in his/her daily environments. The School Psychologist may be part of the team of professionals working with the student. They may make recommendations regarding school placement and individual programming that may help the student be successful in the school environment.

School Guidance Counselor: School counselors work with students to assist in adapting to their environment, to develop career awareness, and to improve their understanding of themselves. The counselor may also identify and refer students who may be eligible for special education.

School Social Worker: A Social Worker serving children and families in a school setting may facilitate securing many services for students and families. A Social Worker has access to many community resources that may be beneficial to a family.

Special Education Teacher: A Special Education Teachers is a licensed teacher who is specially trained to complete educational assessments, to develop educational plans and to implement educational programs that meet the needs of students with disabilities.

Speech and Language Therapist: A Speech/Language Therapist helps a student learn to say sounds and words that the student may find difficult to produce. These sounds and words are usually expected to be present at the student’s age. This therapist also may help a student who is stuttering, unable to understand language at his/her age level, or put words together in a correct form to get his/her needs met. The goal of a Speech and Language Therapist is to help a student learn to communicate effectively.

Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing: This teacher is licensed and is specially trained to work with students who are deaf or hard of hearing, to develop educational plans and to implement educational programs that meet the needs of students and their families.

Teacher of the Visually Impaired: This teacher is licensed and is specialty trained to work with students who are visually impaired and with their families. They work to develop and implement educational programs to meet the needs of the students.


Published by Shonda Virgil on June 28, 2018

Cumberland County Schools
2465 Gillespie Street • Fayetteville, NC 28306

© 2019 Cumberland County Schools
Send questions or comments to

CCS Web Manager

Website Accessibility
I Accesibilidad a las Pбginas Web
| Copyright/Privacy Notices and Disclaimers | Derecho de Propiedad Literaria/Avisos Privados y Renuncias | Non-Discrimination Policy and Grievances